PRIVATE AREA-EXTRANET

Covasna

Area of the County and its capital city

 

Covasna County perimeter

Covasna County lies in the middle of Romania (fig. 20) with it's total area of 3710 km², which makes up 1.56 % of the total area of the country. The main part of the relief consists of mountains from the Eastern Carpathians Group. Most localities can be found in valleys and depressions located along the rivers crossing the county. Along the biggest river, the river Olt, lays the capital city of Sfântu Gheorghe with a population of 61341 inhabitants (2010). The town of Sfântu Gheorghe is 200 km away from the Romanian Capital, Bucuresti.

 

Population distribution

Population

 

Half of the counties population of 222434 inhabitants (2010) live in urban localities, in the 5 towns of the county, while the other half in rural establishments. The population density is 60/km², meaning that the area is not abundantly populated, having a distribution of entities described in fig. 21.

 

Source: EPA Covasna, based on data from LEAP

Water resources

 

 
 

Lake Reci

The territory of Covasna County has accumulated over the past couple of million years a rich layers of aquifers, creating a permanent hydrographic system (fig. 24). Spread throughout the area of the county one can find numerous natural mineral water and fresh water springs. Generally these springs originate from the mountain regions, and after several intercalations, form wide network of fresh surface water deposits.

 

Source: Henning Janos

 

 

Lake Moacsa

The River Olt with it's hydrographic basin, collecting the springs, covers 81% of the total area of the county, while the remaining 19%, is covered by the hydrographic basin of River Buzau. Both of these rivers take the collected water south to the River Danube.

 

Source: Biodiversity Department EPA Covasna

 

 

Covasna Counties hydrographic basins

There are three lakes in Covasna County, all artificial, yet very popular recreation sites during the warm summer period, Lake Reci (fig. 22), Lake Moacsa (fig. 23), and Lake Belin. Lake Reci is part of one of the protected areas of the county.

 

The calculated amount of fresh water resource in Covasna County for the year 2009 totaled 672 Mio m3.

 

The responsible authorities for water management have provided plans for management of hydrographic water basins for the period 2009-2015.

 

Biodiversity Department EPA Covasna

Consumption of drinking water

 

For the urban areas the average water consumption per capita for each day is around 121 liters.

 


Landscape, land use and climate

 

 

Land use of Covasna County

The area of the county is covered with forests, mainly by resinous species and agricultural land (fig. 25). These characteristics show the potential of the counties in wood processing and tourist activities. The landscape consists of 60% mountains, 31% basins and 9% hills.

 

 

The climate is temperate continental, with hot dry summers and cold dry winters, with an average annual temperature of 3-8 °C. The average annual precipitation varies between 550-750 mm/year. Balneary and climatic resorts intertwine with the amazing natural landscape and offer comfort for visitors and in the mean time offers recreational activity opportunities.

 

EPA Covasna, based on data from LEAP

 


 

GDP and gross value sectors

 

The gross domestic product calculated for Covasna County total a little over 900 Mio EUR for the year 2010. The main part of the amount comes from the wood industry due to the dense forest coverage of the area. Among the wood industry the textile industry is the second biggest income source and the electrical component is the third. Tourism and agriculture have their own shares in the value created in the County, being among the top five contributors.

 


 

This project is cofinanced by the ERDF and made possible by the INTERREG IVC programme

 

The Interregional Cooperation Programme INTERREG IVC, financed by the European Union’s Regional Development Fund, helps Regions of Europe work together to share experience and good practice in the areas of innovation, the knowledge economy, the environment and risk prevention. EUR 302 million is available for project funding but, more than that, a wealth of knowledge and potential solutions are also on hand for regional policy-makers.

UEInterreg